Q: What are the differences in Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Home Care and Traditional Home Care?

Traditional Home Care: Licensed programs are commonly known as PCA or HHA. An agency licensed by New York State Department of Health where the agency recruits, trains, credentials and hires the home health aide. Scheduling of which home health aide and availability of the aide is done by the agency. Most skilled nursing tasks are not permitted, including wound care, changing of catheters, tracheotomy care, medication distribution, etc.

Consumer Directed Home Care: A Consumer Directed Personal Assistance (CDPA) program.

Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP): Allows individuals needing help with Activities of Daily Living (ADL) to hire someone to help with daily needs. This person can be someone who is already helping them, a friend, a family member, or someone who is in the career of home health or supporting people maintain independence and remain in their home.